Sunday, March 7, 2010

Refresher course...Part Deux

5 Kitchens.....
2 Restaurants..
One Man..........
Me!

What a long two weeks it's been. Tomorrow will be my first actually day off since well..two weeks ago. But first let me tell you a story of infidelity,guilt and lust. Now don't get me wrong I love her,I always have ever since we first met in a English pub. She was elegant,sexy and strong and European. But she was someone else's....but I knew I would have her in time. And so 2years later I did, God she felt so good and she was so elegant,so long lean and sexy and she had a glow about her,I was in love.

Our relationship bloomed like any other,we had our problems and she was high maintenance but we also had our great moments. Moments of finesse and grace,moments when we powered through it and always in times of need she was there. She stood by me and I by her and for 6years we were inseparable.

But 2years ago things changed...and we drifted apart. I didn't notice it at first and I suppose that's always the way,we're just not aware of it and the neglect builds and builds and it takes it's toll. So when I tried to repair the neglect and bring us together again well it just didn't happen. It wasn't her fault and I knew it...and the guilt hung over me.

Like any guilty man I looked for a way to relieve my guilt and that's when I saw Her....she was so much slimmer and exotically Asian. Younger,newer and she shone and glistened in the light. "No" a little voice in me head said"NO!". But the more I looked at Her the more I wanted Her. And that voice again "No you can't,you shouldn't!!!" but the more the voice said no the more I wanted Her....I had to have her,she would make me feel better,she wouldn't let me down and remind me of the lost years. I had to have her,I lusted after her...so I did the unthinkable. It only took 10minutes and I had Her. She felt so good in my hands,so silky and light and being exotic just added to my lust. I was happy again,the guilt gone,the neglect forgotten......until today.

It wasn't much,it was a simple task. Cutting pumpkin,simple and easy really but She just didn't do it smoothly,She had to work harder and there was more effort involved than normal and my thoughts strayed..... "This never used to be this hard,what happened??". Then I realized my younger model just didn't have the weight and power,she was slim but that worked against her but...my European love...she could do it with ease,she had the weight and the thickness behind her.

Why did I buy a new knife?? Why didn't I just give my Victorinox to a professional sharpener as originally planned?? Time,stress and well lust. As I mentioned above things have been pretty busy the last two weeks and this week was no exception. my day job as always was keeping me on my toes and I had two kitchens to deliver. Add to that the weekend before I spent in the kitchen and I knew it was going to be a big week but then news came through that I had a chance to spend 2nights in another kitchen of a up and coming restaurants. The reviews were great so far and the food was classical so I couldn't say no.

So two kitchen deliveries for work,two nights in a new kitchen and another night in the award winning kitchen...long week to say the least. So I knew I had to move fast and there was no time to waste. So by the time thursday rolled around I had my new knife along with a new steel to replace my stolen one and a new knife roll. I was set for the new kitchen.

Walking into a new kitchen is always interesting,new people,new food,new ways of doing things,add to that the fact that in the kitchen there were 3 different nationality's (four including me) and three different languages I was (to say the least) on the back foot. But as always I just did what I do best,I jumped in with both feet and put my best foot forward. Once we were past the introductions and the usual polite talk I started asking questions. You see what most Chefs love to see in someone in their kitchen is a eagerness to learn and a thirst for knowledge all of which I have and what better way to become part of the kitchen than to show interest in the food....I mean hell I'm a Chef after all!

Being the "float" in the kitchen meant I was able to observe and watch the night unfold. The first thing I took notice of...the food of course. Classical and traditional the food was great to see. Some of the dishes were,as to be expected,slightly cumbersome and difficult but most of them were very tasteful and well thought out without taking anything away from the original version of the dish. Then I looked at the design of the kitchen and the differences between this one and the last kitchen I was in. The kitchen I was in was smaller than the other one,the layout was very different too,where the first kitchen was laid out in a h pattern the new kitchen was thin and straight. But as with most kitchens everything was in the most logical place relative to the space available in the kitchen,a good sign.


During my two nights in the new kitchen I watched and helped out where I could. Watching the team over the two nights I saw a good team,I also saw things that I thought could be improved upon,ideas that could be floated to speed things up and systems that could be put in place to help things go more smoothly during the busy moments. But what I took the most heart from was I saw a restaurant and team with a heap of potential. These guys knew what they were doing and were doing their best to give their customers what they came for,great food.

Before I knew it Saturday was upon me,my working week was over,I'd delivered two brand new kitchens and spent two nights in a new kitchen. And today I was spending my saturday in the same kitchen as the previous weekend. Things were looking to be busy, a big event was on and the weather was good. Prime signs for a busy night. When I arrived you could see the signs of a prepared team. The prep was pretty much done and the team was cautiously waiting for a possible lunch rush. Me..well I cut and portioned pumpkin and discovered the flaw with my new knife...oh wait..getting circular. Near the end of lunch service a bad omen. The fan for the oven wasn't working properly...bad thing!! Fan not working = oven not heating properly which equals well a four letter word that sounds remarkable like "Fuck". Luckily one of the owners was on deck working so a quick word in his ear and the tools were out and the control panel to the oven off. And this again reinforces the difference between the successful and the not. A good restaurant owner knows that the every problem has a solution,every issue can be fixed and if you have to get your hands dirty to do it so be it. And then 5minutes later the problem seemed to solved.

Prep...easiest way to sum up my afternoon,just like any kitchen on a saturday-prep prep prep. What do you while you prep...talk,gossip and discuss the weird n wonderful world.....kitchen conversations I love them!!

As service time grew ever closer it was quiet...too quiet. "The calm before the storm" I wondered?? Service time...all was quiet...eerily so. Hospitality is a strange beast and this was just another reminder for me. Half an hour into service I decided to call it a day and leave the professionals in charge. Did it get busy later?? I don't know but what I do know is the team were ready and whatever happened they'd be ready for it.

So now your counting and going "Hang on hang on!! That's only 4 kitchens!! Where's the fifth????"

Home...where I could actually spend some time in my kitchen and have a play with my new knife,you see I bought this...oh,but there I go getting circular again.

No comments:

Post a Comment